Wellington now has a Marketing Meetup!
As I mentioned in my last post I’ve decided to start a Wellington Marketing Meetup. It’s been a thought I’ve had for a while but was always concerned I wouldn’t be able to sustain it alone. Luckily there’s an awesome marketing community in Wellington so I have a team of helpers signed up to help me bring this idea to life.
To those people who have already offered help, ideas and venues, thank you. You have given me the motivation to get this thing started and I’m sure you’ll help greatly in keeping it going.
If you’re interested in marketing and based in Wellington make sure you sign up to the group. We’re hoping to have the first event in 4-6 weeks so make sure you’re in the loop.
My hope for the Wellington Marketing Meetup group is we will create a community:
- Focused on sharing knowledge over showing off – while it’s great to present work you’re proud of, this should be framed to help others improve become better marketers
- Who share practical advice – honest reflections on what has worked, what hasn’t and how to apply this to other situations
- An opportunity for all levels of marketers to share what they know – you don’t have to be an expert or have decades of experience, you just have to have knowledge you want to share
- Less formal than industry events – where you end up seeing the same people each month and getting to know them
How to help?
If you like the sound of the Wellington Marketing Meetup then get involved. There’s lots of ways depending on how much time you want to contribute:
- Come to the Meetups! Easy-peasy, will take an 1 hour each month – join the group here
- Contribute ideas – I’ve started a discussion on what you’d like to hear at meetups
- Help spread the word – send a few tweets and a Linkedin post about events – 30 mins per month
- Volunteer others to speak – awesome people are often busy being awesome, sometimes they need a shoulder tap to encourage them to share what they know. Help make an intro to the meetup group and encourage them to speak – 30 mins a month
- Speak at a meetup – it’s great experience! For a 15 min talk you’re probably looking at 2-3 hours of prep
- Be on the meetup organising committee – I’m looking for 3-4 people to commit to helping behind the scenes coordinating the events and the venue. Likely 1-2 in person catchups a month and some after hours emails. Estimate 5 hours per month. If that sounds like you send me a tweet!
Of course, if you want you’re welcome to do all these things!
I’m excited to get this group going. Please help get the word out by sharing this post.